Monday, February 2, 2009

"Stacy's Movie Corner"

I rented some movies today after my brother, Chad took me to get my blood drawn and my levels checked again. (He's been great about taking me every week. Thanks, Chadwick!) I seriously checked out about 12 movies to watch since I'm by myself all day long and I'm letting my body rest for once! :o)

One movie I rented seemed like it would be a good, uplifting movie to watch and was based on a true story so I thought I would try it out. As I watched it, I realized that not all movies are created equal! Obviously I realized that before, but... I really felt as if the movie makers were trying to hard. It was definitly a "longshot"! Does that make sense? I mean... first of all, the acting was horrible (bad casting)... the story didn't flow smoothly (bad writing)... and it wasn't believable (in the fact that this girl learned football terms and plays in a short time that seemed like she'd known them her whole life). They didn't take the time to develop the characters and their dealings with one another. I'm sure they tried to do the film justice BECAUSE it was based on a young girl's life, BUT man... they failed miserably. It really left me wanting.


Next, Ed popped in a movie that was very thought provoking as well as moving. It was about a man who had no hope and who had found hope at the end of the movie. ("Henry Poole is Here")The acting was wonderful... it made it seem like I truly KNEW these people and really felt for all of the characters involved. It didn't have to have fast cars, intelligent robots or fantastic explosions to keep my interest. Maybe I felt more connected with the subject matter in this movie as opposed to the previous viewed... or maybe just because the acting (and film making) was phenomenally better! It gave me a better appreciation for the cinema and the whole creative experience. I love watching the bonus features that usually accompany DVD's nowadays. They give the veiwer a glimpse into the film making and casting process that he or she otherwise wouldn't have known about. It was interesting because I felt that the main character's eyes did much of the acting! (They said that in the bonus materials as well.) It was amazing the feeling that I felt just through the look in his eyes. (Luke Wilson = "Henry Poole") I would recommend this movie to anyone! Two thumbs up!

We are all blessed with talents given to us from Heavenly Father. It is evident that Luke Wilson was given the gift of acting and the ability to bring his characters to life. Just some food for thought. :o)

2 comments:

Jenelle said...

Thanks for the kudos, friend! I currently have a Canon Rebel XT and a Canon 5D. The 5D is a recent purchase and I haven't posted any pics taken with it yet. It's my upgrade investment/b-day present to me:0) I hope you're feeling a bit better. I'm here if you feel up to company. I would guess it's not too comfy to talk, but it's nice to have someone to listen to me and with concerted effort I have been none to shut up long enough to let others speak as well ;p Just give me a holler! Okay, enough. I'm too easily amused.

Hartson family said...

Thanks for the movie updates. It's always good to hear what's good out there and worth seeing.