Sunday, November 1, 2009

Wednesday, October 21 - Endocrinologist Appointment

I've been seeing my Endocrinologist every four to six weeks to check my vitamin D level, calcium level, and parathyroid hormone level (PHT). Everything was going well up to this appointment. I had my blood drawn the day before so that it would be read for my appointment. She said that my vitamin D and calcium levels were okay, but my PHT level was high again. That was quite a shock to me! I asked what it was and she said 86.3. Since I didn't know how high that was I asked what the normal range was and she then told me it was anywhere from 17 to 70. I figured okay... it's a little on the high side, but I can deal with this. Then I asked what it was when I was there four weeks ago and she said 23. Okay... I was thinking that it was crazy to have jumped sooooooo high in only a month's time! She said that it may have been a mistake at the lab, but I really wasn't going to get my hopes up. I was fighting back tears as I thought to myself, "What freakin' timing... If my calcium and vitamin D levels go haywire then I will have to have ANOTHER parathyroidectomy WITH A FREAKIN' NEWBORN!" I held it together as long as I could. We talked for a minute and she said that I needed to come back in two weeks to have my blood work done again. I made it out the front door and just burst into tears. One more thing to have on my plate. As if I'm not dealing with enough physical problems right now. We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

No comments: