Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Church News

There's been lots of new happenings with regards to church last month...

January 1 - "Experiment upon the Word" -Our new theme for church this year is a Book of Mormon reading program called, "Experiment upon the Word". We read a chapter each night with our family before we go to bed for the night. We pray beforehand, read and then have family pray before we go to bed. The kids seem to really enjoy it and it has really helped Oliver with his reading skills!

January 15th - Parenting Class - Ed and I started attending a parenting class taught by a representative from LDS family services. There are four other couples that are in the class as well. I'm optimistic about learning things that will help me raise my children and teach them gospel principles as well. I definitely need more help in teaching my children to be responsible and obedient. We are looking forward to having more classes. The last two classes have been postponed due to snowy and icy weather.

On January 27th, our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away at the age of 97. We were all sad to hear the news, but realized what a wonderful reunion he must have had with his sweet wife, Marjorie on that day! Our new prophet is President Thomas S. Monson. It will be interesting having a new prophet due to the fact that President Hinckley was the ONLY prophet that I've ever known. He was prophet from 1995 - 2008 and I was baptized in 1997. He gave some of the most wonderful talks and I just loved his sense of humor. He will be missed, but will remain in our memories.

1 comment:

Jolley's said...

He was the only prophet I knew, too. We are like the same conversion wise. I couldn't believe how sad I was. I remember when the last prophet died and Julie cried. I thought, why is she crying - she didn't even know him. That was when I was a new member. I felt that way and couldn't believe how sad I was. I guess it justs shows us how strong our testimonies are of the prophet. He will be missed.