Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Our Family Valentine's Day Dinner

February 14, 2008

This is a family tradition that I started when Eden was only 18 months old and Oliver was almost three. I couldn't believe how much everything cost on this one day. Ed and I can go out to eat any other day and not have to fight the crowds. He can buy me flowers any other time of the year, and save so much more money than on Valentine's day.

As dinner was nearing, I had this thought pop into my head, "Why don't we have a fancy candlelight dinner with the ones that we love the most... our own family?" Ed ran to the store to get the fixing for fettucine alfredo and spaghetti (for Oliver). He also stopped by Fazoli's to get some of their yummy breadsticks (which are a tradition to this day).

Dinner had finally come and I set the table the fanciest way that I could, with a tablecloth and a small piece of lace that I had kept. I had two wine glasses for Ed and I to put sparkling cider in and candles lit all over the table. We feasted on fettucine, spaghetti, salad and breadsticks. I also had a chocolate fondue to dip some strawberries in for dessert.

The kids ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT and so it remains one of our favorite family traditions. We've expanded to invite others to join in with us as well. Who knows... it may be YOU next year!

I've had several friends pick up on this idea and the result is always the same! It seems that the kids LOVE it and want to have candles with every meal for the next several days! The older the kids get the more they help prepare the atmosphere and the food! We all look forward to it every year. It's so much fun!!!

"The Spread" Jaren awaiting his FIRST FAMILY VALENTINE'S DINNER at 7 months old.


Ed and Oliver enjoying their meals. My silly boys!
Oliver, Eden, my mom and me. I couldn't let my breadstick leave my hand for one moment, they are so delicious!

"CHEERS!" Oliver and Eden. This year we tryed a sparkling green apple cider and man was it delish!









"I'm bringing sexy back"... WHAT?!?
Eden diving into her pudding! We didn't have alot of strawberries this year so she had pudding for dessert.
Introducing "Princess Jaren"... with pureed carrots all over his mug! That was his dinner for the night. What a cute little man, with or without the crown!

Oliver trying to lick the chocolate which was pretty much solid by that time except for around the rim!!! He says that he looks like a devil with it around his mouth like that!

1 comment:

Mike & Mandy said...

Very cute tradition! I can't wait to do something like this when Isaac gets older! Also, I love the pictures! (I feel the same way about breadsticks!)