Saturday, December 29, 2007

Unsolved Mystery Heel Pain

I've been dealing with some nasty pain in my left heel for over 3 months now and I've been to the doctor, who said it was Plantar Fasciitis, my chiropractor who helped with my back pain that was out of control... I'm sure because of the way I've been walking and FINALLY I went to the Podiatrist who took an x-ray of my heel and found that it was a heel spur. This is where the tendons and ligaments pull a part of the bone away from the heel and cause lots of pain.
He said I was extremely inflammed and gave me two cortizone shots in my heel. Yes... it was the most painful shot I'd ever received, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be. My podiatrist said that it would last for 2 - 4 weeks... I'm guessing helping with the inflammation and NOT the pain because I'm still in a good amount of pain right now. He also gave me a wrap to wrap around my ankle and under my foot to help support my arch a little. I wear that whenever I'm on my feet (always with shoes), ice my foot at least 3 times a day, take ibuprofen and do my stretches throughout the day. He also said to stay off of my feet. I laughed and said, "Yeah... I have two young kids and a 6 month old! Like that's gonna happen!"
He said that most people live with this by getting orthodics to help, in my case, with my high arches that are the cause of the heel spur. It's just fantastic to learn that these orthodics will cost upwards of $400 and then to find out that my insurance does NOT cover it! Oh... FANTASTIC!!! (See the movie "SiCKO" for more outrageous insurance screw-overs)

Anyways... I thought, "Well, I guess if I can 'live with it' I HAVE TO HAVE the orthotics to help." So... I went back to get my feet scanned by walking on a mat and seeing where the most pressure falls on my feet. It will be about 2 weeks until they arrive and I pray that it helps!!!

1 comment:

Krista said...

This is the perfect way to get foot rubs from your hubby. There is always something to be grateful for!!!