Saturday, October 20, 2007

My Uncle's Passing

Well... last Monday my Mom had called me from school and informed me of my uncle's passing. It was a relief to hear that he's not suffering any longer after over two years living with throat cancer, but also nothing really prepares you to hear that he's gone. I think I was in shock at first. I've been crying here and there all week, just thinking of the family that is still here, my Aunt Pat and my cousins, my Grandparents and my mom, Aunt Sue and Uncle Dave. Thinking of their loss and how they must be feeling. My heart just aches for them all. I know that he is in a better place and that may sound cheesy to some, but I TRULY believe it. I know that he is no longer in pain and that he still lives, only in a different state.

His funeral was yesterday in South Carolina. He had a full military burial and was blessed to have had such a beautiful day to be remembered on. I really wish that I could have been there. I was one of three cousins that couldn't be there. I know that we differed in religious beliefs, but I would have liked to have been there to celebrate his life and be there for the family. I have prayed for him as well as his immediate family often during their hard times and I am still continuing to do so. I remember in one of the emails that Pat had sent informing us of Doug's health and wellness, she said that she saw her S.E.A.L. in action... through his determination to live and fight the cancer. I will always remember that. It says so much about his character. He will be missed, but I believe that we will see him again someday.

My Uncle Dave sent me a copy of his obituary. Here is part of it:

Clinton native Douglas A Young, son of Warren & Margaret Young, 1911 N 6th St. Clinton, Iowa.
Born in Lyons, January 1955.
Passed away Oct 15, 2007 in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Doug graduated Clinton High School.
Joined the US Navy.
Honor Graduate of his Basic Training at Great Lakes.
Became a Gunners mate and again was Honor Grad.
Med Float on the USS Independence as a Gunners Mate.
Volunteered to be a US Navy S.E.A.L.
Was Honor Grad of BUD's Class 89
Served as Operations NCO of SEAL Team 2 Little Creek, Va for ten years.
Selected for exchange program British Royal Marines Special Boat Squadron, Poole, Dorset, UK.
Served as Operational Platoon Leader with the SBS.
Served as Winter Warfare Cadre in Labrador, Newfoundland, Harstad, Norway and Greenland.
Transfered to Coronado NAB, California to institute Winter Warfare Training for the West Coast SEALs.
Trained SEALs at Kodiak Island, Alaska.
Was assigned SEAL Team 1 and SEAL Team 3 and Navy Special Warfare Group ONE
Retired as a Senior Chief Petty Officer with 22 yrs service to our country.

*Re services for Doug:*Family, friends, and Teammates are cordially invited to Doug's interrment at Beaufort National Cemetery, Beaufort, SC, on* FRI, 19 OCT* [http://beaufortusa.com/national_cemetery.htm ]. The services, funeral, and Irish Wake will be held at the National Cemetary. The viewing is at 1200 hrs @ the Copeland Funeral Home (800) 851-1161 Beaufort, SC. The Service will be conducted at the National Cemetary @ 1:30 PM (1330) local. For those attending in uniform, the dress is Sevice Dress Blues. A reception will be held afterward at the Beaufort Marine Corps Airstation Offiers Club @ 3:00 pm (1500) to ~ 6:30 (1830) in the Great Santini Room (Doug would have appreciated the humor of this!).


Aunt Sue, Grandma Young, Mom, Uncle Doug, Uncle Dave, Grandpa Young.


AUGUST 2006

No comments: